Asset Management in China 2021
Seizing Opportunities Across Diverse Segments
Access China's Dynamic Asset Management Market
- View a competitive analysis of foreign managers in China
- Evaluate regulatory developments and product innovation
- Gain insight into embracing a new era of wealth management
Discounts available for bulk purchase
This report focuses on one of the biggest and most dynamic asset management markets in the region—China. It examines regulatory developments and their effects on the asset management industry, key retail product and distribution developments, institutional demand, and cross-border product and distribution opportunities.
Included with Purchase
Each report is lead authored by a senior Cerulli analyst with significant industry experience. The report incorporates qualitative and quantitative inputs, based on Cerulli’s proprietary research process. For more on our research process, click here.
Get the most important report findings distilled in an easy-to-understand and highly visual format before you begin your journey through the report or use it as a tool for senior leadership.
Interactive Report Dashboard
Access consolidated data from multiple report exhibits in a single comparative view. Flexibly build your view of data with customizable filters and share the results in a format that meets your requirements.
Got a question? Our analysts are available to help you interpret and analyze key findings as well as provide their perspective on industry trends.
Data Behind the Report
Data is the foundation of our reports. Each study contains nearly 100 exhibits, available to buyers in Excel format. Extract and explore Cerulli’s data and analysis your way.
Access your reports digitally anytime, anywhere, on any device through our client portal.
A Note from the Author
What key trends in China should asset managers take note of in 2021 and 2022?
Shannen is one of the main analysts at Cerulli Associates covering SEA markets. She is a member of the Institutional practice and provides qualitative analysis support for all Asian reports. She also contributes to The Cerulli Edge series.
Prior to joining Cerulli Associates, Shannen worked for trade publications, covering the asset management industry in Asia for four years.
Full biography here.
Despite COVID-19 and Sino-U.S. trade tensions, China’s asset management industry recorded a stellar year in 2020, supported by bullish onshore capital markets, robust track records delivered by fund managers, and increasing product recognition of mutual funds from both retail and institutional investors. Looking ahead, we believe that managers should pay attention to the below to build a strategic approach to the region:
- Evolving distribution dynamics: Distributors are focusing on long-term growth in assets under administration (AUA), driven by regulatory initiatives. They have renegotiated trailer fees with managers, promoted C-share classes, promoted digital marketing campaigns, and further developed the pilot fund investment advisory business.
- Outsourcing: Following the regulation requiring all financial institutions conducting asset management business to comply with the “super guidance” by year-end 2021, product transition pressure and lack of in-house capabilities have boosted institutional outsourcing from banks’ wealth management subsidiaries, and the trend could continue for a few years.
- Staffing and organizational structure: Various liberalization measures such as the lifting of foreign ownership caps have boosted global players’ presence in China. After a manager achieves its license to operate, how should the firm structure its operation and find qualified talent?
Our latest report, Asset Management in China 2021: Seizing Opportunities Across Diverse Segments, examines these trends and more. Tap into our findings to inform and validate your expansion approach to China.
Want more information?
Learn more about this report and related Cerulli research.
You May Also Be Interested In
- Annual report
- The Cerulli Edge
- Cerulli Lodestar
Custom Research & Strategic Consulting
Understand where to allocate resources to achieve your objectives. We can help you determine which initiatives are likely to be successful and those that may not achieve the desired effect. In an increasingly competitive market, our objectivity and experience can help you to advance your firm’s unique strengths.