U.S. Retirement End-Investor 2023
Personalizing the 401(k) Investor Experience
Segment, Analyze, Strategize
- Explore the adoption and development of advisor managed account programs
- Assess competition for individual retirement account (IRA) rollovers
- Understand the implications of new IRA-related laws and requirements
Discounts available for bulk purchase
This annual report represents Cerulli’s investor-level retirement research. The report features detailed coverage of the IRA market, including Cerulli’s IRA rollover sizing model, with in-depth market analysis and projections. The report also includes comprehensive coverage of 401(k) plan participants and IRA owners, examining savings behavior and sources of financial stress. Additionally, this research explores retirement investor trends for different age and wealth cohorts.
Included with Purchase
Each report is lead authored by a senior Cerulli analyst with significant industry experience. The report incorporates qualitative and quantitative inputs, based on Cerulli’s proprietary research process. For more on our research process, click here.
Get the most important report findings distilled in an easy-to-understand and highly visual format before you begin your journey through the report or use it as a tool for senior leadership.
Interactive Report Dashboards
Access consolidated data from multiple report exhibits in a single comparative view. Flexibly build your view of data with customizable filters and share the results in a format that meets your requirements.
Got a question? Our analysts are available to help you interpret and analyze key findings as well as provide their perspective on industry trends.
Data Behind the Report
Data is the foundation of our reports. Each study contains nearly 100 exhibits, available to buyers in Excel format. Extract and explore Cerulli’s data and analysis your way.
Access your reports digitally anytime, anywhere, on any device through our client portal.
A Note From the Author
Personalization takes Center Stage in the Defined Contribution Value Chain
Across the $6.8 trillion 401(k) market, recordkeepers, asset managers, plan sponsors, and technology providers are finding new ways to deliver personalized solutions as they strive to attract, retain, and grow participant assets. Our latest research highlights four areas of focus:
- Participant communications, including participant website user experience designs and multimedia content.
- Financial wellness programs that seek to use participant data to personalize participant education initiatives to both provide guidance on and facilitate recommended next best actions to get their financial houses in order.
- Investment options, including target-date funds which have added capabilities to automatically customize asset allocations and glidepaths to individual participants. Also covered are decumulation-oriented retirement income products with personalized features, such as access to professional guidance and advice resources.
- Providers of financial guidance, planning, and advice to plan participants are seeking to better scale business models for participants who could benefit from help with their finances but may not require, or want, a holistic financial planning relationship. For those who do, technology innovations and data-sharing agreements are enabling advisors to improve relationships with participants and to even bring in-plan assets under the umbrella of their assets under management without requiring a rollover out of the plan.
Learn more about the increasing role personalization is playing in the defined contribution ecosystem with our latest report, U.S. Retirement End-Investor 2023: Personalizing the 401(k) Investor Experience. In addition to covering personalization initiatives in the defined contribution marketplace, this research offers complete sizing of the 401(k) and individual retirement account (IRA) markets, representing Cerulli’s most comprehensive investor-level retirement research and includes analysis of the savings and decision-making behavior of 401(k) participants.
Want More Information?
Learn more about this report and related Cerulli research.
You May Also be Interested in:
- Annual report
- The Cerulli Edge
Strategic Consulting & Custom Research
Cerulli for Consulting
Understand where to allocate resources to achieve your objectives. We can help you determine which initiatives are likely to be successful and those that may not achieve the desired effect. In an increasingly competitive market, our objectivity and experience can help you to advance your firm’s unique strengths.