U.S. Product Development 2021
Aligning Product Development and Client Objectives
Future-Proof Product Initiatives
- Review the investment vehicle decision-making process for various client segments as they consume investment strategies
- Explore future use of the mutual fund vehicle, including share class use, pricing, and asset class exposure
- Discover product development trends within collective investment trusts and private funds
Discounts available for bulk purchase
- Boston HQ +1 617.437.0084
- Singapore +65 6994 1022
- London +44 20 7645 9040
Examine the complex U.S. product landscape for institutional and retail client segments, with special focus on financial advisor product use. Understand how advisors are using active and passive, which investment vehicles they prefer, and how they allocate client assets across asset classes/strategies.
Included with Purchase
Each report is lead authored by a senior Cerulli analyst with significant industry experience. The report incorporates qualitative and quantitative inputs, based on Cerulli’s proprietary research process. For more on our research process, click here.
Get the most important report findings distilled in an easy-to-understand and highly visual format before you begin your journey through the report or use it as a tool for senior leadership.
Interactive Report Dashboard
Access consolidated data from multiple report exhibits in a single comparative view. Flexibly build your view of data with customizable filters and share the results in a format that meets your requirements.
Got a question? Our analysts are available to help you interpret and analyze key findings as well as provide their perspective on industry trends.
Data Behind the Report
Data is the foundation of our reports. Each study contains nearly 100 exhibits, available to buyers in Excel format. Extract and explore Cerulli’s data and analysis your way.
Access your reports digitally anytime, anywhere, on any device through our client portal.
A Note from the Authors
The Top Product Priorities for Asset Managers
Matt Apkarian, CFA
Matt Apkarian, CFA
Matt is a member of Cerulli’s Product Development practice, which focuses on trends related to asset managers’ product development and management functions. This broadly includes assessing the opportunity for product development, evaluating emerging product trends, and understanding distribution and product positioning for investment products across retirement, retail, and institutional channels.
Prior to joining Cerulli, Matt held roles in
several business units at Fidelity Investments, including Workplace Investing,
Personal Investing, and Fund Operations. Most recently, he worked as an
Investment Data Analyst for Strategic Advisers, LLC.
Full biography here.
Going into 2022, asset manager product teams are focused on several initiatives, including building out new vehicles, incorporating environmental, social, and governance (ESG) principles into their firm’s investment processes, and developing and delivering asset allocation models. According to our research:
- Four out of five (81%) of asset managers polled by Cerulli view incorporating ESG/socially responsible investing (SRI) into the investment process as a high priority, while the other 19% view it as a moderate priority.
- Building out new vehicles is a high priority for 41% of asset managers, with another 44% indicating it is a moderate priority.
- Delivering asset allocation models is a high priority for 30% of asset managers with another 44% indicating it is a moderate priority.
There will be continued adoption and innovation of exchange-traded funds (ETFs). ETFs are viewed as a large opportunity by 86% of managers that currently use the vehicle, while 33% of managers that do not use the vehicle have plans to build ETF offerings over the next 12 months. ETFs are increasingly being viewed as a large opportunity, particularly as active strategies emerge and accelerate adoption at faster rates than passive ETF strategies. Diving deeper, transparent ETF structures appear to be the early winner as managers consider whether to use semi-transparent structures as the best avenues to win assets.
Our report, U.S. Product Development 2021: Aligning Product Development and Client Objectives, highlights areas for opportunity and growth for product development teams at asset manager firms. Learn how and where to invest your development efforts with our detailed analysis.
Want more information?
Learn more about this report and related Cerulli research.
You May Also be Interested in:
- Annual report
- The Cerulli Edge
Custom Research & Strategic Consulting
Cerulli for Consulting
Understand where to allocate resources to achieve your objectives. We can help you determine which initiatives are likely to be successful and those that may not achieve the desired effect. In an increasingly competitive market, our objectivity and experience can help you to advance your firm’s unique strengths.